Opportunity Passport™ helps young adults who have experienced foster care learn how to manage their finances and save. You’ll dive into financial education, grow your savings, and access matched savings funds.
This multi-year program provides extensive financial education and an opportunity for us to match your savings up to $3,500 for approved assets.
- Be 18 to 25-years-old
- Have spent at least one day in foster care in Indiana at or after the age of 14
- Have some sort of income
- Have a bank account
- Successfully complete all seven of the Foster Success Online Financial Modules
- Be able to participate in the 10-hour financial education course
- Be willing to complete Opportunity Passport surveys twice a year
Financial literacy courses will focus on:
- Financial Values & Beliefs
- Credit & Loans
- Debt Management
- Income & Taxes
- Saving & Investing
- Identity Protection
- Financial Confidence & Self-Advocacy
Since 2009, participants have saved more than $325,000 – and we’ve matched it!
FINANCIAL EDUCATION TRAINING
The first step to enrolling is learning how to manage money, budget, and set financial goals. Virtual classes are offered three times throughout the year. You can apply through your Foster Success account.
After completing the Financial Education Training, participants will receive $100 seed money and are encouraged to add it to their savings or begin saving.
Complete a survey two times a year to receive $80 and remain eligible to match.
MATCHING FOR ASSETS
Opportunity Passport™ will match savings $1 for $1 (up to $3,500 lifetime max) when the money is used to purchase one or more approved assets. Assets are things that will help participants on their road to becoming financially successful.
Assets eligible for matching funds:
- First month’s rent and deposit or housing down payment
- Education expenses like tuition, fees, books or a computer
- Investments (stocks, bank CDs, etc.)
- Medical and dental health care
- Purchasing a vehicle and assisting with the cost of insurance and registration
- Microenterprise (small business)
- Credit building or credit repair
- Participant Specific (on a case-by-case review)
Questions? Contact Hannah Milner, Assistant Director of Financial Empowerment
All Financial Empowerment Programs
Online Financial Modules
Foster Success offers a series of online courses that will teach you about topics ranging from banking to insurance. You learn new skills, and you can also earn money when you pass all seven Online Financial Modules with a score of at least 80%.