In partnership with Justine PETERSEN CDFI, Credit Build helps young adults who have been in foster care establish and build credit through guided savings. Credit Build allows participants to save $300 while building their credit score. How?
- Foster Success works with national partners to open a $300 credit-building loan.
- Participants make 12 monthly payments of approximately $28 each month into a locked savings account.
- Each successful payment is reported to all three credit bureaus, increasing credit scores each month.
After the loan is paid off, the $300 is returned to you to continue building your financial wellness. We highly encourage you to pay down your debt, open a secured credit card, or build your savings.
Who is Credit Build for?
Anyone 18-25 who has lived in foster care in Indiana on or after their 14th birthday and:
- Has limited or no credit history and very few existing loans or debts.
- May previously have been denied loans or financial services.
- Demonstrates a willingness and readiness to save money and improve financial health.
- Has not had any foreclosures or late payments in the last 90 days.
- Demonstrates income or an ability to make the monthly payments.
What will I have to do?
Throughout the year-long program, you will meet with your financial coach 2-4 times. During these sessions, you will receive support in:
- Organizing and prioritizing paying down debt
- Monitoring and managing credit
- Assessing your current financial state and creating a budget
- Establishing financial goals
46% of young people report meeting a financial goal!
Questions? Contact Hannah Milner, Assistant Director of Financial Empowerment
All Financial Empowerment Programs
Online Financial Modules
Foster Success offers a series of online courses that will teach you about topics ranging from banking to insurance. You learn new skills, and you can also earn money when you pass all seven Online Financial Modules with a score of at least 80%.
Opportunity Passport™️ helps you learn how to budget, invest, and save. After completing the course requirements you are eligible for up to $3,500 in matched funds to help you make a big purchase like a home or a car.
Your credit score is a critical part in purchasing your first car, home, renting an apartment and even getting a credit card! The 12-month Credit Build program helps you establish a credit history or improve your credit score, while also saving money.