Fostering Higher Education
The program is designed to provide personal attention, support and guidance to participants during their senior year of high school and first year of college.
FHE is currently open to teens and young adults who reside in Lake and Marion Counties.
Fostering Higher Education provides:
- Individualized one-on-one advising sessions with an Education Advocate
- Guided programming designed to aid in the transition to and acclimation into higher education
- Steps to identify and address barriers that can, and often do, impede higher education success
- Must be a resident of Lake County (IN) or Marion County (IN)
- Must have a sincere interest in pursuing higher education
- Must be a current high school senior, GED graduate, or high school graduate interested in higher education, but not yet pursuing it
- Must be recommended by their caseworker or school/academic counselor
Time commitment for program participation (Lake County):
- Two years
- One-on-one meetings – the first two month’s meetings will take place twice a month, then once a month for the remainder of the program.
- Occasional group activities
Time commitment for survey-only participation (Marion County):
- Two years
- Survey completion once every few months
“Meeting with my Education Coordinator helped me realize that there is someone out there who cares about me and how I do in school. Meeting with my coordinator helped me strive for the best grades I can get because I knew I would be praised during our meetings.”
– Amber Z. showing off her college tee